The Gold Coast is a popular tourist destination for good reason—beautiful beaches, amazing places to eat and a relaxed, holiday vibe. If you’re going to be visiting the Gold Coast, you may be wondering – Do I need a car? Perhaps you’re staying within walking distance to the beach and eateries and plan on doing only that! But, if you want to take advantage of some of the amazing attractions located across the city, you will need to have some form of transport.
In this guide, we’ll explore whether renting a car is necessary for travelling throughout Gold Coast. We’ll also highlight some popular tourist attractions that can only be reached by car!
Transport Options on the Gold Coast
The Gold Coast has a range of transportation options, including buses, trains, Ubers and taxis. These services are generally reliable, however buses and trains only run according to a limited timetable and the cost of Ubers and taxis can quickly add up, especially if you want to visit destinations off the beaten path.
The other transport option to consider on the Gold Coast is a hire car. Although it may seem like an extra expense, renting a car offers the most convenience and flexibility. A rental car allows you to explore the region at your own pace, access out-of-the-way destinations and avoid the hassle of public transportation. Additionally, if you’re travelling with family or a group of friends, the cost of a hire car can be considerably less than the outlay for public transport and rideshare options.
Popular Tourist Attractions that Require a Car
If you’re looking for some unique experiences on the Gold Coast, beyond just walking to the beach, consider the following destinations that are easier to visit with a hire car:
- Springbrook National Park: This beautiful park is in the Gold Coast hinterland and offers stunning views, hiking trails and waterfalls.
- Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary: This popular wildlife sanctuary is home to a range of Australian animals, including koalas, kangaroos and crocodiles.
- Currumbin Rock Pools: These picturesque swimming holes are in the Currumbin Valley. Fed by a freshwater creek, the rock pools are surrounded by lush rainforest and offer a perfect place for hiking and picnicking.
- Theme Parks: Dreamworld, Movieworld, Seaworld and Wet’n’Wild are some of the Gold Coast’s most visited destinations—by tourists and locals alike. Travelling to the parks via car allows for a fast exit after a long day spent on rides in the Queensland sun.
- Burleigh Headland: This beautiful headland is known for its stunning views, surfing, beachside cafes and afternoon drinks and picnics!
- Lamington National Park: This beautiful hinterland park is home to rainforests, waterfalls and streams, amazing views and over 160 bird species. It’s a wonderful destination for a picnic and time spent walking the famous Toolona Creek Circuit.
- Tamborine Mountain: This scenic mountain located in the Gold Coast hinterland offers stunning views, wineries and hiking trails.
Cheap Car Hire With Economy Rental Cars
Car hire on the Gold Coast doesn’t need to break the bank. If you’re keen to explore some hidden gems, Economy Rental Cars offers a range of cheap car rental options on the Gold Coast to cater to your needs and budget.
Our rental cars are well-maintained, reliable and come with excellent customer service. With multiple depot locations across the Gold Coast, hiring a car with Economy Rental Cars is easy, hassle-free and, above all, convenient.